Student Employment - Student Event Planner
Conference and Event Services hosts over 12,000 guests in over 150 conferences during the summer and provides excellent customer service. The student manager is responsible for helping to coordinate meetings, conferences, special programs, and special events for University departments and non-University groups. The position is responsible for organizing the operations of the check-in desk, facilitating a line of communication between conference planners and student staff, and overseeing functions that interact with Campus and community entities.
- Current full-time Cornell student and registered for full-time study in fall 2023
- Must be patient, courteous, professional, and have a strong customer-service orientation
- Able to work independently and on a team in a fast-paced, demanding dynamic environment
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and hospitality skills
- Ability to manage a group and keep others on task
- Job history of dependability and accuracy in tasks requiring detail
- Comprehensive knowledge of campus and community services
- Demonstrated organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Readily adaptable to change, resourceful, and able to solve problems quickly and creatively
- Knowledge of PC computers and related software
Conference Planning and Execution
- Oversee the Student Planning Associates' planning and execution of their conferences by providing checklists and agendas prior to the conference arrival.
- Prepare for and work at events including check-ins, checkouts, catered functions, meetings, and presentations.
- Serve as contact for conference facilitators and participants; provide necessary information pertaining to changes.
- Ensure that the Conference Assistants enter and reconcile all necessary data to provide accurate billing.
Front Desk Customer Service
- Welcome guests promptly and professionally; answer questions and make referrals.
- Perform opening and closing procedures and reconcile cash register.
- Check-in conference attendees, distribute keys and access cards, and collect fees.
- Process payments for housing, dining, parking, laundry, and other services using the cash register, credit card machine, and StarRez software.
- Provide information and concierge services to visitors, conference attendees, and conference facilitators.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of current conferences and who is responsible for what within the department, Campus Life, and the University to be able to direct customers correctly.
- Process service requests to maintain residential and Community Center facilities. Determine the level of urgency per established policies.
- Manager on-call service hours to support student staff on-call in necessary.
- Plan an orientation and training session for all conference assistants
- Coordinate weekly staff meetings with Conference Assistants and Planners
- Attend weekly meetings with the conference planners
- Execute one on one performance reviews with all-conference assistants.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
|Supervision Received:||General supervision by Conference Planners|
|Supervision Given:||Direct supervision of student staff|
|Decision-Making:||Occasionally adapts established procedures to resolve unusual cases, recommends policy and procedural changes within the department.|
|Accountability:||Significant accountability through a scope of impact beyond the University|
|Contacts:||Receive and provide information within the university. Frequently conduct complex business with students and people outside the University.|
|Working Conditions:||Typically lifts 20–50 lbs. Normal visual concentration. Limited exposure to hazards.|
Skills for Success — essential skills for individual and organizational success
Is flexible, open, and receptive to new ideas and approaches
Adapts to changing priorities, situations, and demands
Handles multiple tasks and priorities
Demonstrates the ability to express thoughts clearly, both orally and in writing
Demonstrates effective listening skills
Shares knowledge and information
Is approachable and accessible to others
Reaches out to be helpful in a timely and responsive manner
Strives to satisfy internal and external customers
Is diplomatic, courteous, and welcoming
- Shows respect for differences in backgrounds, lifestyles, viewpoints, and needs in reference to areas such as ethnicity, race, gender, creed, and sexual orientation
- Promotes cooperation and a welcoming environment for all
- Works to understand the perspectives brought by all individuals
- Builds working relationships to solve problems and achieve common goals
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of others
- Offers assistance, support, and feedback to others
- Shows initiative, anticipates needs, and takes actions
- Engages in problem-solving; demonstrates innovation and creativity
- Suggests ways to improve and be more efficient
- Strives to achieve individual, unit, and university goals
- Enhances personal knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Anticipates and adapts to technological advances and other changes as needed
- Seeks and acts upon performance feedback
- Demonstrates accountability in all work responsibilities
- Exercises sound and ethical judgment
- Shows commitment to work and to consequences of own actions