Student Employment - Service Center Summer Guest Associate
Conference Services hosts over 12,000 guests participating in conferences, meetings, and programs throughout the summer. The Service Center Summer Student Team Member works closely with the Service Center Professional, Student Managers, and Student Supervisors, as well as Conference Services Professional and Student Managers in supporting meetings, conferences, special programs, and special events for university departments and university-sponsored groups. The position is responsible for providing excellent customer service while working with conferences, facilitators, and participants. Responsibility includes service desk operations, guest services, event execution, & maintaining an open line of communication with Service Center and Conference Planning teams.
Housing and dining are provided throughout the summer.
- Current full-time Cornell student and/or registered as a full-time student in Fall 2023
- Must be patient, courteous, professional, and have strong customer service skills
- Knowledge of computers, Excel, Word and have the ability to learn new software
- Able to work independently and in a dynamic fast-paced team environment
- Excellent interpersonal, hospitality, and customer service skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of campus and community services
- Demonstrated organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Readily adaptable to change, resourceful, and able to solve problems quickly and creatively
- Job history of dependability
Front Desk Customer Service
- Welcome guests promptly and professionally; answer questions and make referrals.
- Perform opening and closing procedures and reconcile cash register.
- Check-in conference attendees, distribute keys and access cards, and collect fees.
- Process payments for housing, dining, activities, parking, laundry, and other services using the cash register, credit card machine, and StarRez housing software.
- Provide information and concierge services to visitors, conference attendees, and conference facilitators.
- Sharing your love for Cornell University and Ithaca area
- Maintain a thorough understanding of current conferences and who is responsible for what within the department, Campus Life, and the University to be able to direct customers correctly.
- Process Service Requests through Facilities & Campus Life Website to maintain residential and Community Center facilities. Determine the level of urgency per established policies.
- Mail processing to include receiving, processing, & forwarding.
Summer Operations Logistics
- Be prepared each day to support the summer business needs of each specific group (check-in, check-out, keys/card access needed, level of service, etc.).
- Communicate any summer business problems, concerns, and challenges to the Service Center Student Supervisors and Managers.
- Attend all orientation and training for Summer Operations
- Attend all Service Center Operation meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
|Supervision Received:||General supervision by Student Center Student Managers and Supervisors|
|Supervision Given:||Occasional guidance to coworkers; Student Guest Operations Associates.|
|Decision-Making:||Occasionally adapts established procedures to resolve unusual cases, recommends policy and procedural changes within the department.|
|Accountability:||Significant accountability through a scope of impact beyond the University|
|Contacts:||Receive and provide information within the university. Assist with complex business and is a liaison between Service Center operations, Conference Planners, and conference facilitators. Work directly with a diverse guest/student population.|
|Working Conditions:||Typically lifts 20–50 lbs. Normal visual concentration. Limited exposure to hazards.|
Skills for Success — essential skills for individual and organizational success
Is flexible, open, and receptive to new ideas and approaches
Adapts to changing priorities, situations, and demands
Handles multiple tasks and priorities
Demonstrates the ability to express thoughts clearly, both orally and in writing
Demonstrates effective listening skills
Shares knowledge and information
Is approachable and accessible to others
Reaches out to be helpful in a timely and responsive manner
Strives to satisfy internal and external customers
Is diplomatic, courteous, and welcoming
- Shows respect for differences in backgrounds, lifestyles, viewpoints, and needs in reference to areas such as ethnicity, race, gender, creed, and sexual orientation
- Promotes cooperation and a welcoming environment for all
- Works to understand the perspectives brought by all individuals
- Builds working relationships to solve problems and achieve common goals
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of others
- Offers assistance, support, and feedback to others
- Shows initiative, anticipates needs, and takes actions
- Engages in problem-solving; demonstrates innovation and creativity
- Suggests ways to improve and be more efficient
- Strives to achieve individual, unit, and university goals
- Enhances personal knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Anticipates and adapts to technological advances and other changes as needed
- Seeks and acts upon performance feedback
- Demonstrates accountability in all work responsibilities
- Exercises sound and ethical judgment
- Shows commitment to work and to consequences of own actions